Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pardon my French - it's pots de creme!

Once upon a time, on a hot Malaysian afternoon, two girls wanted to eat custard. Now where is a mother to find custard on a hot Malaysian afternoon? In her own kitchen, of course!

This is a recipe from La Tartine Gourmande, a beautiful recipe book that I received in the mail a couple of months back. It is so simple to make that the kids had their custard in a little over an hour (they had to wait a little longer for the chilled version.)

The recipe called for applesauce, but I substituted with pear since I had those in the fridge. This is my version, as I changed up a few of the ingredients to suit what I had on hand.

Petits pots de creme with cardamom and vanilla. Makes about 6 portions.

For the pear sauce:
1 medium pear, cored and diced
2 tbsp brown sugar
Zest and juice of half a lemon
1 vanilla bean, split open and seeds scraped out
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup water

To make this, combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, or until pear is soft. Remove vanilla bean and cinnamon stick. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. (The recipe asked to puree the fruit, but I just left them as is, so there's still bite and crunch to the dish.) Spoon 1 tablespoon of the pear to the bottom of six glass jars. I didn't have six of the same size, so they went into the various empty jam jars.

For the custard:
2 and 1/3 cup of whole milk
1 vanilla bean, split open and seeds scraped out
4 cardamom pods, crushed
1 cinnamon stick
1 large egg
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup brown sugar

Preheat oven to 160 degrees centigrade ( 320 degrees F) and prepare a water bath. For this I just filled a square baking tray to the halfway mark with water.

In a pot, combine milk, vanilla bean and seeds, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Bring to a gentle boil, remove from heat and cover. Leave to infuse for 30 minutes, then strain the milk. It should still be warm to the touch.

In a bowl, beat the egg and yolk with sugar. Pour in the infused milk, stirring constantly. Pour the mixture into the jars and discard any foam that might have formed on the surface. Place the jars in the water bath and cook for 45 minutes, or until set. When you take it out, the middle might still be wobbly. Let cool and it will set further. Serve warm or chill in the fridge for a few hours. Cover the top of each with cling wrap.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails